This site uses cookies to allow us to give you a better customer experienceRead more
Choose continent:
Choose country:
Choose resort:

You will need:

  • Both of your valid, ten year passports, 
  • Travel documents
  • Birth certificates, (along with an official translation of them - see below)
  • The relevant decree absolute should either of you have been previously divorced (along with an official translation - see below)
  • The relevant death certificate should either of you have previously been widowed. 
  • Two witnesses over the age of 18.

You will need to be:
  • Over the age of 18 OR
  • Over the age of 16 with full, written consent of both parents.

Further information:
  • Please note that certified Greek translations of  your full birth certificates and evidence proving that any previous marriage(s) has / have been dissolved (e.g. Decree Absolute Divorce Papers or Death Certificates) are essential. All translations should be made by official authorities (the Translations Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or a Consulate). You can find more information on how to contact the Translations Office in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by clicking HERE
  • Before translating these documents they must be legalised with with the Hague Convention 'Apostille' to confirm that they are valid. For British nationals this Apostille is available from:

Legalisation Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office,
Norfolk House (West)
437 Silbury Boulevard,
Milton Keynes
Tel: 037-0002244 

  • Before you head out to Greece you will need to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment from your local registry office in the UK. This document can be issued by your local registry office within the three months prior to your wedding.
  • Once in Greece, together with all of the above documents AND your Certificate of No Impediment, you must apply to the local municipality of the hotel/resort where you wish to marry for a marriage license. Please see below for the relevant contact details. 
  • Receipt of the marriage license could take up to eight days. Once in receipt of the marriage licence, you can then set the date of the marriage ceremony by filling in and signing a joint application in the municipality offices.
  • In accordance with of sex equality legislation you must declare the surname of your prospective children before the marriage takes place. You can choose either of your surnames or, if you prefer, both; however you can not use more than two surnames for your children.
  • The charge for the marriage ceremony amounts to 100 Euros. 
  • There is no residency requirement for foreign nationals wishing to marry in Greece but it is recommended that you do arrive in the country over a week before your wedding.


For weddings in Crete:

CRETE - British Vice Consulate
Candia Tower,
17 Thalita Street,
Ag. Dimitrios Square,
71 202 Heraklion
Tel: (0030) 2810 224012
Fax: (0030) 2810 243935

Please note that this e-mail address is only monitored during working hours ie 08.00 - 15.00hrs Monday to Friday excluding public holidays. In an emergency outside these hours please call the British Embassy Athens switchboard number: (0030) 210 7272600