This site uses cookies to allow us to give you a better customer experienceRead more
Choose continent:
Choose country:
Choose resort:

Hospitals & Medical Care

Medical treatment can be very expensive; there are no special arrangements for British visitors. The British Embassy and Consulates-General cannot assist you with medical expenses. You should ensure that you have comprehensive medical insurance, which includes hospital treatment and medical evacuation to the UK.

Further Information

You should seek medical advice before travelling to the USA and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date. For further information on vaccination requirements, health outbreaks and general disease protection and prevention you should visit the websites of the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) and NHS Scotland’s Fit for Travel or call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. 

Natural Disasters

Please be aware of the following information:
  • The hurricane season normally runs from June to November and can affect the whole of the southern USA. You can monitor the progress of storms on the US National Hurricane Centre website.
  • See the Foreign & Commonwealth Office tropical cyclones page for further advice about what to do if you are caught up in a hurricane.
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) website also contains information about how to prepare for extreme weather conditions and what to do if you are told to evacuate. It also provides a useful list of disaster supplies that will help if you live in an area affected by storms and hurricanes. To access this website, click HERE
  • The West Coast of the United States of America, (including Hawaii and Alaska) and the US Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, are prone to earthquakes. To learn more about earthquakes and what you should do during, and after an event, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website.

The information on this page is supplied by the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office. If you do not live in the UK please check with the relevant office in your country of residence for this information.